How do I make a claim if my vehicle is damaged in an accident? / What do I do in case of an accident?Here's the process to file a claim for the vehicles damaged in an accident.
Apnainsurance.com Research Bureau
28 Nov 2007
- Arrange to shift
the injured person to hospital for treatment immediately. As per the provisions
of Section 134 of the Motor Vehicles Act, the driver/owner of the vehicle
involved in an accident is responsible to convey the injured to the nearest
hospital or clinic. The doctor at the hospital is duty bound to give medical
aid or treatment without waiting for any procedural formalities.
- Report the matter with the nearest police station within 24 hours of the occurrence of such an incident.
- Note down the names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses and the registration number of the vehicle involved in the accident. Also jot down the name and number of the policeman who arrives at the site of the accident.
- Notify the nearest insurance branch about the accident, its time, date, and place and obtain your claim form.
- Fill the claim form with details and submit it to the office along with the estimate of repairs, a copy of the Registration Certificate, and the driving license of the driver of the vehicle at the time of accident.
- In case of any notice from the third party, Motor Vehicle Claims Tribunal, or a court of law, make no promises to settle the matter out of court. Send all notices, summons etc. you receive to the car insurance company for further action.
Do I need to obtain an FIR in the case of an accident?
In case my vehicle is sold and an accident occurs while the policy is in the process of being transferred, would the new owner be eligible to file a claim?
What happens if a vehicle flees after injuring a third party and its license plate number was not legible?
What is my liability if someone else is driving at the time of the accident?
Motor Insurance FAQs on Claims
Motor Insurance FAQs on Coverage
Motor Insurance FAQs on Cost, Premiums, Bonus, Discounts, Renewals