Burglary and HousebreakingYour shopkeeper's insurance policy will cover your shop and its contents against loss or damage caused by burglary, housebreaking, theft, robbery, or dacoity. Read onn to know more.
Apnainsurance Research Bureau
17 Jan 2008
This section of the shopkeepers' insurance policy provides cover to your shop and its contents against loss or damage caused by burglary, housebreaking, theft, robbery, or dacoity. Some companies restrict the damage payment to the shop due to burglary or house breaking to a maximum 5 per cent of the sum insured.
This cover also protects against loss due to impact damage by falling trees/electric poles/lampposts, breakage or collapse of aerials/satellite dishes and damage by civic authorities while preventing fire.
Typically, the policy will not cover:
- Loss or damage where a family member or business staff has directly/indirectly assisted any in the actual theft to cause the damage
- Loss or damage by fire or explosion, or natural calamities, such as earthquake, tornado, cyclone, etc.
- Gold or silver articles, watches, jewelry, precious stones, medals, coins, sculptures, manuscripts, rare books, plans, patterns, models, moulds, and designs
- Deeds, bonds, bills of exchange,
promissory notes, money or securities for money, stamps, books of
accounts, business books or documents, cheques, share certificates,
tickets, stamp collection, coin collections, medals, plans,
specifications, blue prints, document of title to goods, contracts or
other legal documents, or documents of any other kind
- Unexplained losses, shortages due to error while making an inventory, losses resulting from your voluntarily parting with title or possession of any property, legally, illegally, or by deception
Some insurers state the policy will cease if:
- Your premises have been left uninhabited by day and night for seven or more consecutive days and nights
- You do any alterations on your premises by which the risk of burglary or housebreaking is increased; or change or relax any of the safeguards installed for securing the premises
Electronic Equipment / Reinstatement of Data and Software
Television, Video Equipment, Portable Computer, Mobile Phone
Electrical or Mechanical Appliances Breakdown
Business Interruption and Increased Cost of Working / Loss of Profit
Neon or Glow Signs
Plate Glass Coverage
Pedal Cycle Coverage
Personal Accident Coverage
Public Liability Risk and Workmen's Compensation Policy
Fire and Allied Perils