What is the definition of Non Resident Indian (NRI)?Read to know more about Non Resident Indian (NRI).
08 Dec 2008
NRIs can be defined as:
- Indian citizens who stay in a foreign country for employment
- Indian citizens carrying on their businesses or vocations
- Indian citizens abroad for any other purpose in the circumstances indicating a definite intention to stay outside India for an indefinite period
NRIs can also be:
- Indian citizens working abroad on assignment with foreign governments or international agencies
- Officials of central and state government and public sector undertakings deputed abroad on temporary assignments or posted to their offices abroad
- Indians who have settled abroad permanently or gone abroad on immigration
Indians become residents of India once they come back to India to engage in employment,
for carrying on any business or vocation, or for any other purpose indicating a
definite intention to stay in India for an indefinite period.
However, those NRIs visiting India for holidays or business cannot be considered as resident Indians.