Home   >>    Insurance   >>    Car Insurance   >>     Apply

Do I have to keep my insurance papers in the vehicle?

You have to keep the insurance papers along with all other relevant vehicle documents inside the vehicle at all times. If requested by a competent authority, you have to produce these papers.

Apnainsurance.com Research Bureau

29 Nov 2007

According to Section 158 of the Motor Vehicles Act, any person driving a motor vehicle, on request from a police officer in uniform, must produce:

  • The insurance certificate
  • The Certificate of Registration or RC Book
  • The driving license
  • The certificate of fitness and the permit in the case of commercial vehicles
  • The Pollution Under Control certificate

It is a penal offense if the driver is unable to produce these documents or if their validity has expired.

Therefore, it is advised to keep the car insurance papers in the vehicle.

See also:

Important motor vehicle documents

Third Party, Fare-Paying Passengers, and Non-Fare Paying Passengers

What happens if a vehicle flees after injuring a third party and its license plate number was not legible?

What is my liability if someone else is driving at the time of the accident?

Motor Insurance FAQs on Claims

Motor Insurance FAQs on Coverage

Motor Insurance FAQs on Cost, Premiums, Bonus, Discounts, Renewals