Home   >>    Insurance   >>    Car Insurance   >>     Apply

Do I need to obtain an FIR in the case of an accident?

A 'First Information Report' needs to be given to the insurer to process the claim. Here's when you need to obtain a FIR.

Apnainsurance.com Research Bureau

28 Nov 2007

Yes, you have to obtain a FIR to claim car insurance in any of the following cases. The FIR needs to be given to the insurance company to process the claim.

  • Any third party personal injury or death due to an accident involving your vehicle
  • Any personal injury or death of a paid driver
  • Any personal injury or death of an owner-driver
  • Any personal injury or death of a passenger
  • Any third party property damage
  • Theft of the entire vehicle
  • Theft of accessories
  • Any loss or damage to the vehicle by miscreants, rioters, terrorists, arsonists, etc

See also:

How do I make a claim if my vehicle is damaged in an accident? / What do I do in case of an accident?

Total Loss

In case my vehicle is sold and an accident occurs while the policy is in the process of being transferred, would the new owner be eligible to file a claim?

What happens if a vehicle flees after injuring a third party and its license plate number was not legible?

What is my liability if someone else is driving at the time of the accident?

Motor Insurance FAQs on Claims

Motor Insurance FAQs on Coverage

Motor Insurance FAQs on Cost, Premiums, Bonus, Discounts, Renewals